Wednesday, October 2, 2013

STUDENT FEATURE: Trevor Jackman, MBA ‘14

Trevor Jackman 

Finance Concentration
Treasurer, Investment Banking Group
Treasurer, Black and Hispanic MBA Association

Trevor is a full-time MBA candidate with a concentration in finance.  After becoming fed-up with his former workplace, Trevor decided to take his skills to the next level by enrolling at RBS.  He is now well on his way to his dream job at the FED.






How did you find yourself at RBS?
Born and raised in Jersey and went to Rutgers New Brunswick for undergrad, where I completed a double-major in Economics and Political Science. Before attending RBS, I had been working as a Financial Aid Advisor at a college in NYC. After 3 years of working hard (and dealing with a lot of office politics) I just wasn’t happy with the job. Also, I got tired of constantly being called to put out fires at work. It’s never a good thing when you wake up and dread going to work in the morning. I finally had enough and quit my job to pursue my MBA full-time.

Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
Working as a senior officer, directly under the President of the New York Federal Reserve Bank.  It’s unrealistic to think I could be the Chairman of the FOMC in 15 years…that may be 20 years down the line.

How was your summer internship?
I loved my internship because I got to interact with so many different people within the Federal Reserve. My coworkers all were very helpful and answered any questions I had about my projects.  We had luncheons with senior leaders and during one event I had the chance to speak with William Dudley, the President of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Additionally, I got to meet some of the RBS alum that work at the FED, who really supported and taught me throughout the summer.  Overall, it was an amazing experience.  I was given a full-time offer, and I’m excited to start working at the FED next summer.

What has been your favorite class so far?
Doing Business in China” I got to travel through China for ten days and experience a side of the world I’ve never been to.  We toured 3 difference cities in China and got to meet with several business leaders who have worked in various industries in China over the past 20 years.  I was surprised to learn first-hand the different challenges businesses face in the Chinese market, but it was a great learning experience. It’s pretty obvious why this was my favorite class. I’d highly recommend the class to any student. 


Who is your favorite professor?
I have to say Farrokh Langdana. He is really great at explaining complex financial issues in plain English that anyone off the street could understand.  I had his class from 6-9pm on Wednesday nights, after 6 hours of class… so for him to keep my attention the whole time tells you how great of a teacher he is.


What would you do differently if you could repeat your first semester all over again?
I would have talked to more second year students focusing in finance. I really didn’t take the time to get to know the second years as much as I should have and that could have been very helpful networking and for interview prep. Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing about first semester.

Trevor and two other RBS students tour China as part of
the "Doing Business in China" course 





No comments:

Post a Comment